Korean Fried Chicken, that other (better) KFC. Once you taste this crunchy fried chicken from Korea, you will never want chicken in any other way.
Chicken is Life
We all love chicken. There is not a single animal on this planet we love to eat more than chicken. In English chicken is so beloved it often a goto when describing other meats’ taste: “Tastes like chicken”. We also love to deep-fry things. Something about it just makes us go into a frenzy. Now when you combine chicken and frying, people go insane.
Korea is no different. In fact Korea goes even more crazy over fried chicken than anywhere else in the world. They simply worship it and when you taste their Korean Fried Chicken (양념 치킨), you will convert and worship it as well. Why is Korean fried chicken so awesome? It is crunchy and the sticky sweet and spicy sauce is to die for. What is there not to love about Korean Fried Chicken?
The Secrets of the other KFC
The first love reason is the crunchy texture that Korean Fried Chicken has to offer. How they do it, is actually quite simple. It was not strange to me either. Most people tend to deep fry their fried chicken just once. However, to make Korean Fried Chicken, you need not fry once, but twice. That is right you need to deep-fry it two times. By the way you need to do it for Belgian fries too. (Never say French fries!)
The second love reason is the sauce and the sauce is really to die for. This sauce is made by mixing gochujang, ketchup, strawberry jam and other seasoning. After some time in a wok on high heat this mixture becomes a sticky sweet and spicy sauce that will turn you into addicts. That is a Hanhan Jabji guarantee.
Now you might think making Korean fried Chicken is hard, but this is not the case. In fact, it is so easy that anyone can do it. You just need to take your time, but believe me it will be worth every single second you invest in it.
By the way Korean Traffic Light Chicken
In Korea there is also something called traffic light chicken or fruit flavored chicken. I will just let this video tell you the rest about this…chicken.
Korean Fried Chicken, the other KFC (양념 치킨) is an absolute treat. It is a lot easier to make than you might think and once you try it you will wonder what took you so long. Enjoy the crunchy chicken covered in sweet, sticky and spicy sauce.
- 1 kg Chicken, breast
- 300 g Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Korean red chili paste (Gochujang)
- 1 tbsp Ketchup, tomato
- 1 tbsp Strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger, Minced
- Sesame seeds
- Let the oil heat up the oil to about 180 °C.
- Cut the chicken breasts in bite size pieces and places them in a bowl.
- Pour the milk in the bowl and let the chicken rest for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the milk after 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mix the cornstarch together with pepper and salt. Season it to suit your taste.
- Coat the chicken well with the cornstarch.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil and let it fry for about 10 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil once again and fry it for another 10 minutes.
- Place the fried chicken to the side while you make the sauce.
- Mix the gochujang, strawberry jam, soy sauce, honey, mirin, garlic and ginger together in a mixing bowl.
- Place a wok on the stove and turn up the heat to high.
- Pour the sauce in the wok and bring it to a boil.
- Stir the sauce well and keep stirring.
- When the sauce starts to turn sticky, throw in the chicken and coat it well with the sauce.
- Finish the fried chicken off by covering it with a handful of sesame seeds. Enjoy
Koreans fry all parts of the chicken. I prefer to use the chicken breast as it comes without any bones. Try chicken wings, it is quite popular.
While frying be careful! Hot oil will burn you!
There are many sauce recipes out there. Try to make your own and let me know. I would love to hear your version.